Looking to increase your energy and stamina? Need a boost to your immune system? A vitamin B12 injection may be just what you need to feel like your best self. Vitamin B12 is a crucial supplement in the human body that helps make red blood cells, nerves, and DNA, and additionally carries out many vital functions related to energy production, mood regulation, and more.
Our board-certified plastic surgeon in Reno, Dr. Tiffany McCormack, is happy to offer our patients vitamin B12 shots that can be used to increase energy, enhance brain function and concentration, help improve mood stabilization, and boost your immune system. Vitamin B12 shots are most effective at regular intervals and only take a few minutes out of your busy day.
What is Vitamin B12?
Vitamin B12 is perhaps the most important (and overlooked) of the B-group vitamins. The human body needs vitamin B12 to maintain a healthy physical and emotional well-being, but it does not produce the supplement naturally. Vitamin B12 is mostly obtained from food products and other external sources. Consequently, individuals who lack vitamin B12 in their bloodstream often experience a range of debilitating symptoms that can inhibit proper functioning and make daily life very difficult.
Symptoms of Vitamin B12 Deficiency
Individuals who are at the highest risk of developing a vitamin B12 deficiency are men and women who are either near middle age, do not eat meat, have had weight loss surgery, or are taking certain heart-related or diabetic medications. However, symptoms of a B12 deficiency can arise in anyone, and may include:
- Fatigue: Relentless fatigue or tiredness throughout the day is one of the most prominent and initial signs of a lack of vitamin B12 in the body. B12 is responsible for making the red blood cells that carry oxygen to organs and other parts of the body—without enough oxygen in your cells, you will feel tired no matter how much you sleep.
- Weakness: Without an adequate amount of vitamin B12 in the bloodstream, picking up moderately sized objects can feel like you’re carrying lead bricks. A lack of oxygen in the cells is a primary cause of muscle weakness and general sluggishness.
- Memory loss and difficulty thinking: Low levels of vitamin B12 can cause cognitive difficulty and trouble remembering how to perform simple tasks, such as writing a check. This is because the supplement is necessary to healthy brain and nerve function.
- “Pins and needles” feeling and other strange sensations: Because nerve damage is triggered by a lack of oxygen in the cells, a B12 deficiency can lead to feelings of numbness, tingling, or a “pins and needles” sensation commonly associated with your leg “falling asleep.”
- Mood changes: Vitamin B12 is usually involved in mood regulation and the synthesis of brain chemicals like dopamine and serotonin. Doctors hypothesize that feelings of depression and anxiousness can be brought on by depleted B12 levels.
Fortunately, the symptoms of a vitamin B12 deficiency commonly dissipate once the body receives the necessary levels of B12 to carry out its essential functions. For individuals who do not consume enough of the vitamin—or simply wish to enhance their focus, energy, or stamina—vitamin B12 shots from our medical spa can provide numerous benefits for general body health and the immune system.
For more information about vitamin B12 shots, or to schedule a consultation, please contact our practice today.